Lead partner: AVL
The innovations in this cluster will enable the use of alternative fuels with the aim to reduce emissions. Advanced aftertreatment will contribute to achieving maximum emission reduction (regulated and unregulated emissions).
- The use of HVO/PTL blends (DAF Trucks), HVO/alcohol (VOLVO engine) and HVO (hybridised VOLVO truck powertrain, FO truck and hybridised coaches of IRIZAR and VDL) instead of EN590;
- The use of bio-NG/NG mixtures in an IVECO truck;
- The use of DME in a single cylinder engine to demonstrate further efficiency potential and a CO2 reduction of >15% at very low engine out emissions;
- The use of H2 in a single cylinder engine to demonstrate zero CO2 capability at high efficiency and very low engine out emissions (NOx emissions < 70% of Euro VI level).
Other pollutant reduction innovations (related to objective 4) that will be demonstrated:
- Characteristics of catalysts especially under transient conditions and special operating conditions;
- Characteristics of individual EAS components with Diesel engines operated with renewable fuel blends;
- Optimised warm-up strategies with Diesel engines, with EAS and integrated NOx storage catalysts;
- Use of a novel EAS in a truck combing SCR catalysts with passive NOx adsorbers (PNA) to bridge the low temperature phases at electrical operation;
- Filter regeneration with Diesel engines operated with renewable fuel blends;
- Characterization of SCR catalysts with focus on desulphurization of components at closed coupled position;
- Advanced CH4 & NOx conversion light-off (towards low temperature) with Tree-Way Catalysts (TWC);
- Robustness of TWC against operational changes (band width around stoichiometric conditions) and Gas engine particles filtration, sulphur resistance and robustness of TWC with low light off for CH4 and NOx.
This cluster focuses on the reduction of pollutant emissions by use of alternative fuels and advanced aftertreatment which will contribute to achieving maximum emission reduction for all regulated and unregulated emissions. It also includes noise reduction when driving in fully electric mode.
- Support reduction of engine-out emissions with fuel mixtures (NOx -30%; PN -40%)
- Tailpipe emissions with diesel/alcohol blends & optimized aftertreatment (NOx -30%; PN -40%)
- Tailpipe emissions with bio-methane, new TWC & PF (NOx=0.1 g/kWh, other gaseous -30%, PN10)
- Reduction of engine-out NOx with 1-cyl H2 engine to <70% of EU VI level
- Noise reduction when driving fully electric (evaluation to zero impact mobility in cities)