Lead partner: DAF Trucks
- Engine optimisation; target 50% efficiency in best point (mixture of demonstration of contribution of systems in test cell and simulation of complete engine) by enabling technologies;
- increased peak firing pressure capability of the engine allowing faster heat-release or higher compression ratio;
- higher turbine power due to more heat available for turbine (less heat to coolant) and higher turbocharger efficiencies (to be used for more diluted and more efficient combustion with low heat rejection to coolant and/or contribution of scavenging loop to net power or turbo compounding).
- Engine robustness testing for advanced bio-fuels; reference fuel will be HVO (from bio mass); depending on the outcome of the horizontal work package blends with other bio fuels can be tested in the engine test cell;
- Vehicle optimisation 10% energy saving (based on MY 2018 reference vehicle) by improved ICE and improvements in the vehicles as improved aero dynamics and reduced rolling resistance and optimised vehicle functions (energy management of the vehicle); to be demonstrated in VECTO long-haul cycle.
1. SCE adaption to DAF HD application [FEV – Apr 2021]
DAF HD engine power unit and periphery is succesfully adapted, installed and comissioned on FEV Single-CylinderEngine base unit.
2. Turbocharger development (open-loop efficiency) incl. simulations [GARRET MOTION – Dec 2021]
Report on the development of a turbocharger system, including turbocharging system layout; information on the GT-Power model of the turbo, the integration of this model into DAF engine GT-Power model, the matching of the aerodynamics of the Garrett E-Turbo to the DAF engine in GT-Power, the alignment of the interfaces with the DAF engine, the building and gas stand test first prototype Turbo, and engineering support for engine dyno testing.
3. Demonstrator vehicle with high efficiency engine including commissioning report [DAF – Sep 2022]
Report on the DAF Demo Vehicle, including info on the homologation according to the EURO VI regulation (for this on road measurements (PEMS) will be performed as well as a functional safety evaluation)
4. SCE development (thermal efficiency) incl. simulations [FEV – Sep 2022]
Report on testing results of Single-Cylinder-Engine with DAF HD application and related simulations of D5.6 towards the different technologies for increased brake thermal efficiency.
5. Emission test on engine test bed for the modified engine and aftertreatment system [DAF – Dec 2022]
The engine will be tested with components that contribute for highest engine efficiency and settings optimised for maximum efficiency. Also a calibration will be made (together with the aftertreatment system) to meet Euro VI emission standard. This will be documented in a report.
6. Simulation total BTE efficiency improvement and emissions [RWTH – Dec 2022]
Report on simulation results of DAF HD application towards the selected technologies for increased brake thermal efficiency.
7. Vehicle demonstration and validation results [DAF – Apr 2023]
The vehicle will be demonstrated in real driving condition by haulier Primafrio in their daily operation. During the testing period log will be made for fuel efficiency of the vehicle on different routes. This will be documented in a report.